Refined Bleached Deodorized (RBD) Coconut Oil or CNO is the most popular form of Coconut Oil worldwide. It’s one of the purest and best due to the bleaching and deodorization process. The oil is also known by the name RBD Coconut Oil. It’s mostly made from dried Copra and Coconut Kernel. The Coconut Kernel is placed in a hydraulic press with additional heat and then the oil will be extracted. It is not suitable for consumption because it contains contaminants and must be refined with further filtering and heating. High heat is then used to deodorize the oil to remove its distinctive odor and flavor. Sodium hydroxide is often added to prolong its shelf life. To obtain the most oil, some brands use chemical solvents to extract as much oil as possible from the meat. They may partially hydrogenate the oil, too, which means it will contain trans–fats.
It actually has no coconut taste or aroma. It is mostly used for home cooking, industrial and commercial food processing, and various other Cosmetic and Pharmaceutical purposes.
Unlike unrefined oil, refined oil does not contain as many beneficial health properties. However, it still contains some health benefits and is generally a healthy cooking oil to use. RBD Coconut oil that is hydrogenated, is not a healthy cooking oil. Refined Coconut Oil that is not hydrogenated contains Capric, Lauric Acid, Vitamins like K, E and Iron and Caprylic Acids. It is mainly made up of a medium–chain fatty acid called Lauric acid. Highlights the numerous health benefits associated with Lauric Acid consumption which include antiviral, antibacterial, anticancer and immune–boosting effects. Both refined and unrefined oil contain the same amount of this beneficial fatty–acid.
Table 1: Some of the amazing benefits of CNO
Unrefined coconut oil is often referred to as “Virgin Coconut Oil” (VCO) or “pure” CNO. It is extracted from fresh coconut meat rather than dried. The fresh coconut meat undergoes one of two processes: wet milling or quick drying. Quick drying, the most common method used, promptly dries the coconut meat and the oil is mechanically expressed. Wet milling refers to the process in which It is expressed from the fresh meat and then boiled, fermented or separated from the milk using enzymes or centrifuge.
Health Benefits Of CNO:
It has many reported benefits. It is associated with specific positive health effects and can act as an aid in certain body functions. Based on what’s been studied and reported, It can assist with the following:
- Boosts metabolism & aids with weight loss.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Improves heart health & reduces health risks associated with diabetes.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Supports immune system.
- It’s anti-fungal, antiviral & antibacterial.
- Promotes healing & tissue repair.
- Improves digestion & nutrient absorption.
- Enhances physical performance.
- Hydrates and protects the skin, improves skin tone and prevents wrinkles and skin aging.
- Reduces psoriasis, eczema symptoms.
- Improves hair and scalp condition.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- It’s a quick energy source and controls sugar cravings.
- Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
- Reduces epileptic seizures.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
- And much more.
Standard Specifications of Premium and Regular Grades of Coconut Oil: